13 Mount Stuart Square
Salary: cost per hour/day
Closing Date: Not applicable
At Illustrate Digital we are looking to extend our internal team with local freelance developers who are looking to work on exciting projects for a fast growing agency. Experience in working with WordPress is essential for this freelance role.
You need to have solid experience within your chosen field:
This is a freelance position and so work times are flexible and negotiable, as is your rate depending on experience.
Ideal Knowledge, Attitudes and Abilities
The best candidate for this freelance role would have a real hunger for building the best websites you can and have a passion for WordPress. Using GIT, Gulp, other modern technologies and various local development workflows is a core part of working with us. It’d be great to have experience building great customer experiences that don’t just focus on building a functional site but go beyond that to ensure every part of a website is crafted to excellence – CMS interfaces, post types, front-end user experience etc.
Developing for cross-browser compatibility is absolutely essential to working with our sites at Illustrate Digital.
You must be able to develop as part of a team. This will be important to ensure that you consider others at all times. This will mean solid commenting, great consideration for code structure and a willingness to adopt code guidelines and actively develop these in our growing team.
You must be able to design as part of a team and communicate well using communication tools. Our chosen communication tool is Slack and this is where you will conduct your main conversations with the team. Since the work will always be handed over to an internal team this will mean solid commenting, tidy workflow and a good logic behind the work you’re producing that can be explained to another developer, as well as to the project team or client if needed.
You should be willing to positively engage with a team who are looking for the best for our clients and each other. We are a fun team who love nothing more than to push each other forward so expect a friendly and challenging working environment.
- Good working knowledge and experience with WordPress, WooCommerce HTML, CSS, and jQuery.
- At least 3 years development experience or 2 years direct experience with WordPress and WooCommerce development.
- Experienced and proficient with responsive design and development using Twitter Bootstrap.
- Ability to set up and build new WordPress sites, customise existing sites.
- Love to build efficient and usable code that can be worked on by more than just yourself.
- Good communication skills.
- Great attention to detail and ability to manage you own time well.
- Local freelancers only, as we’ll need to meet infrequently to keep communication and relationship strong.
Perks & Fun Stuff
- Freelancers are allowed to work from the Illustrate Digital space in Cardiff Bay, if there are desks available.
- Free tea and Nespresso coffee in-house.
- Lunch Club on Fridays (team lunch out in The Bay).
Opportunities for Employment
We’re a growing digital agency, which means there will plenty of opportunities opening up for future growth. Many of our past freelancers have become full time team members and so if you think you’d like to take up this sort of offer in the future then it’s good to know we’ll consider it, especially if we’re producing great work together!