£20,000 to £30,000 depending on experience
Closing date: There is currently no closing date on this position – we would be looking to employ a WordPress developer before the end of July. If you’re unsure about the timing of this job please apply anyway and if you’re suitable we’d love to chat to you and work something out.
The role of WordPress Developer at Illustrate is an important one to us as a company. We are committed to providing the very best WordPress development that the industry has to offer. So far we have become the leading WordPress specialist agency in Cardiff and you would be joining this growing team of development specialists, adding to our combined expertise.
The position is full-time at 5 days per week, paid a salary between £20,000 to £30,000 depending on experience. Plus health, wellbeing and income-protection insurance cover.
Work times are 8:30am until 5pm with 30 minutes for lunch.
You are entitled to 28 days holiday per year, including Bank Holidays.
How You’ll Be Learning
This job is an amazing chance to learn the ins and outs of one of the best web design agencies in Cardiff, as well as one of few WordPress specialist agencies in the UK. You’ll grow to be a part of our family and will learn a load of things along the way, as well as sharing your existing knowledge with the rest of the team.
The joy of being a developer within Illustrate, and being an active part of the WordPress community, is that gaps and weaknesses in each other’s knowledge are plugged by the strengths of the rest of the team. This challenges, stretches and grows us day by day.
Here are some of the learning attitudes that we require you to have as part of your role:
- Nobody knows everything and so we’re looking for developers who are hungry for knowledge and growth, but who are willing to go in search of that knowledge for themselves. Study, trying new things and not being afraid to break things and fix them again are vital to keeping good pace in a digital world that is changing by the day. We don’t just want to be web designers who are catching up with the trend, we are thought leaders who are working ahead of the curve.
- For the Illustrate team it’s not all just about the technical elements. We’re looking for developers who are willing and ready to understand the needs of our clients so we can provide a tailored service with the best possible development. Be ready to not only observe and develop, but also make suggestions on how to improve what we’re offering.
What You’ll Be Expected To Do
- First and foremost you will become an integral part of our family. We don’t just exist to do a job and go home, we help each other to grow, challenge each other and get to know more about each other on a daily basis. This family culture is really easy to be a part of and is the first thing we expect any new employee to get to grips with.
- You’ll be working directly under our Technical Director, Kyle, and you’ll be given regular opportunities to soak up his vision for the future development of Illustrate, as well as being able to input towards the growth of our agency and the industry we’re working in.
- From day-to-day you’ll be working on some exciting projects and providing your own development expertise in your areas of strength. For example if you’re an amazing or even a growing back-end developer then you’ll be working on an exciting mixture of integrating XML feeds, removing WordPress security threats, building product personalisation tools in WooCommerce and so on.
- As part of providing the best possible service to our clients you will be expected to follow best coding practices and write using efficient code. This helps us to firstly be able to work together between multiple projects without a level of learning involved before being able to use each other’s code, but also to keep everything at a high standard, ensuring that every website we build or maintain is running at its highest potential.
- You’ll appreciate that a lot of the work we do is time-critical. Our clients pay us for the time we work on projects and so you will be expected to work as effectively as possible and use our time-tracking tools as you go along so that we can monitor our overall effectiveness as an agency but also accurately bill our clients for the time we’ve spent working on their project.
- You must be willing to use or learn to use Apple computers as these are the systems we have decided to invest in for the best levels of reliability support. A computer will be provided for you, so there is no need to bring your own.
Job Requirements and Benefits
- Excellent working knowledge and experience with WordPress, HTML, CSS, and jQuery.
- At least 3 years development experience or 2 years experience with WordPress development.
- Experienced and proficient with responsive design and development.
- Knowledge of XML and JSON feeds is preferable.
- Ability to set up and build new WordPress sites, customise existing sites.
- Technical knowledge for maintaining WordPress websites is required.
- We’re looking for someone who loves to build efficient and usable code that can be worked on by more than just yourself.
- We want someone to be a part of our family and taking the lead on projects while working very closely with designers as well as clients from planning to delivery.
- You will be required to work from our Cardiff Bay office and will be responsible for arranging your own travel to and from the office each day.
- It is required that you are fluent in English.
- We will be looking to hire someone who is good with timekeeping and who is looking to maintain honesty and integrity at all times as well as have good communication skills, great attention to detail and an ability to manage your own time efficiently.
- You will be provided with (but not indefinitely guaranteed to receive) health and wellbeing insurance which covers you, your partner and any children living with you, for income protection and personal illness. This is fully paid for by Illustrate.
- You’re getting in early. We are quickly growing as an agency and you will be a key part of that growth.
- It’s important for us to look after our staff, so as part of your employment we would cover you, your partner and any children still living at home with a generous package of critical illness and income protection insurance.
- We like to have fun. Sometimes offices are busy, but who doesn’t like to have fun? We recognise that we all work better when we enjoy where we work – it’s that simple really.
- The office is inside the beautiful and culturally significant Coal Exchange building which is always a great conversation starter. It’s flooded with light and is a great, creative workspace.
- Mermaid Quay and the main part of Cardiff Bay are pretty much across the road so it’s a beautiful location to go for lunch or an after work celebration.
- We love to make our clients happy so you should expect to be dealing with people who are on your side.
Opportunities for Growth
We’re a growing web design agency, which means there will plenty of opportunities opening up for future growth. If you think you’ve got what it takes to grow beyond this advertised job role or can help us develop the agency in another way then please apply for this job, we’d love to chat to you.
How To Apply
Please submit an up-to-date and relevant CV to us, alongside an introductory letter explaining how you think you would fit into the role. Please be honest and write openly about who you are – we’re looking for people with great character and we value this more highly than great skill (it’s still important though, of course).
You can submit your CV and introductory letter to us by email: [email protected]
You should hear back from us within 2 working days to confirm we’ve received your email. If we don’t get in touch, please call us on 02921 961661 to confirm that we’ve received it.